Friday, December 17, 2010

I know this much is true...





I may not be married or have kids but I know this much is true...

1. AT LEAST once a year, you will reach the point where you wonder what life would be like if you divorced your spouse...

2. It is 100% normal slash  NOT DISCUSSED that you will want to leave your child someplace or inflict bodily harm on him/her. (Or, if you are like my mom, you'll pinch your kid super hard)

True story... I once spent the night at a friends house who has two young kids... When I showed up she looked defeated... Her hair was a fright, her house was disorganized, the outfit..stained with food... And then I heard her crying children.. Oh, the whaling. It haunts me to this day...

After about an hour (and maybe some drugs), the kids went to sleep... My friend sat next to me on the couch, poured herself a large glass of wine and said, "sometimes I want to throw my kids down the stairs. For real. I know you aren't supposed to say it but sometimes I just want to."

If, as a parent, you cannot sympathize with my friend, you are lying to yourself.. Yes, no one wants to admit this cause they fear that it makes them a bad person, bad parent or worse, that you have bad children, but it's true...

Marriage plus children doesn't always equal perfect.... despite what your other friends might say.. So, don't beat yourself up. Realize you aren't alone and carry on...